Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 4, 1970

Tomorrow, May 4th, is graduation day at my university.  It is a big celebration and I think we do it up right.  The university rents out the TD Garden, formerly (and informally) called the Boston Garden.  Students pour into the arena and parents fill the seats.  It is so popular that the 19000 seats are sold out such that you can get a pretty nice dollar for an extra ticket on CraigsList.

I will attend the ceremony and I know, as was the case last year, I will enjoy seeing the parents and students smile through the day.

I do think it is important to remember tomorrow, for all of us who have an opportunity to celebrate any aspect of this wonderful life gift--whether it is a graduation day or a Friday or just a day when you have to go to work and do nothing special...I think it is important to remember tomorrow that on May 4th 1970 four students were murdered at Kent State University.  And the killers got away with it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment